It’s not even officially Spring and Houston has already seen damaging storms, heavy rains, and even tornadoes so far this year! This weather can really take its toll on an older roof – or a roof that just wasn’t properly installed.
Here are some tips to help you determine if a new roof (or at least some repairs) are in the cards for your home in the next few months.
- Curling shingles: if your roof’s shingles are starting to curl or bubble, some of them could just fly off in the next severe storm!
- Deteriorating shingles: examine the gutters or the bottom of your downspouts. If you notice a lot of granules, it could mean that your shingles are wearing thin.
- Missing shingles: often after a wind day or a line of storms with high winds, you may find some loose shingles in your yard. Check your roof or your neighbors’ to see whose house they’re from. If they’re from yours, it’s a definite sign that repairs or a roof replacement is in order.
- Leaks inside your home: water always finds a way, and sometimes leaks don’t come straight down from where the hole is on your roof. It can trickle in through the eaves and attic. It can trail down inside a wall, causing mold and mildew problems. Even if you locate a ceiling leak, it doesn’t always mean that the hole is directly above. It takes experts to find and assess the extent of the damage.
- Nesting materials: critters might have made a home in your attic or crawlspaces to escape the cold this past winter. Better give them their walking papers before you have their “youngin’s” to deal with, too!
If you notice any of these problems, feel free to give Precision Roof Crafters a call. We’ll give your roof a thorough inspection before more damage occurs. And if you’ve gotten an estimate from another company and you’d like a second opinion, that’s no trouble! In fact, it means you are one smart homeowner. We’ll be right out to give you our assessment.